The page uses Browser Access Keys to help with keyboard navigation. Click to learn moreSkip to Navigation

Different browsers use different keystrokes to activate accesskey shortcuts. Please reference the following list to use access keys on your system.

Alt and the accesskey, for Internet Explorer on Windows
Shift and Alt and the accesskey, for Firefox on Windows
Shift and Esc and the accesskey, for Windows or Mac
Ctrl and the accesskey, for the following browsers on a Mac: Internet Explorer 5.2, Safari 1.2, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape 6+.

We use the following access keys on our gateway

n Skip to Navigation
k Accesskeys description
h Help
 
    Winston-Salem State University
   
 
  Sep 23, 2017
 
 
    
Undergraduate Catalog 2015-2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Historical Sketch


Winston-Salem State University was founded as the Slater Industrial Academy on September 28, 1892. It began in a one room frame structure with 25 pupils and one teacher. In 1895, the school was recognized by the State of North Carolina, and in 1899, it was chartered by the state as Slater Industrial and State Normal School.

In 1925, the General Assembly of North Carolina recognized the school’s curriculum above high school, changed its name to Winston-Salem Teachers College, and empowered it under authority of the state’s Board of Education to confer appropriate degrees. Winston-Salem Teachers College thus became the first black institution in the nation to grant degrees for teaching in the elementary grades.
The School of Nursing was established in 1953, awarding graduates the degree of Bachelor of Science. The North Carolina General Assembly of 1963 authorized changing the name from Winston-Salem Teachers College to Winston-Salem State College. A statute designating Winston-Salem State College as Winston-Salem State University received legislative approval in 1969. On October 30, 1971, the General Assembly reorganized higher education in North Carolina. On July 1, 1972, Winston- Salem State University became one of 16 constituent institutions of the University of North Carolina, subject to the control of a Board of Governors.

Since its founding in 1892, Winston-Salem State University has grown from a one-room frame structure to more than 39 buildings located on 117 acres, from one teacher to more than 300 faculty members, and from 25 pupils to a student body of more than 5,000. From that resolute band of scholars, the university has expanded into a college of arts, sciences, business and education and a professional school of health sciences. The university currently offers 60 programs of study: 43 baccalaureate programs, ten master’s degree programs, one doctorate program, and six certificate programs.
 

From 2001-2009, U.S. News and World Report ranked Winston-Salem State University among the top regional, public, liberal arts colleges in the South in its annual “America’s Best Colleges” guide.

Winston-Salem State University is located on 117 acres in Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, North Carolina, a city of approximately 200,000 residents. This thriving Twin City is part of the Piedmont Triad, which encompasses the neighboring cities of Greensboro and High Point. The Triad is one of the most heavily populated and most rapidly growing Metropolitan Statistical Areas between Washington, DC, and Atlanta, GA.