Minor in Spanish (18 SH)
The minor in Spanish consists of 18 SH above the elementary level. SPA 2311 and SPA 2312 are prerequisites for all upper level courses leading to the minor. To satisfy the minor requirement in Spanish, all required courses must be taken and completed with a grade of C- or better.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the minor program requirements will be able to:
- Demonstrate oral fluency, grammar, vocabulary, and listening comprehension at the intermediate-low level proficiency through the completion of an interview protocol.
- Demonstrate comprehension of spoken Spanish in real-life settings.
- Demonstrate effective writing skills through the completion of brief term papers.
- Demonstrate cultural competence based on the completion of tasks that assess their understanding of the diversity in cultural beliefs and values among speakers of the target languages.
- Demonstrate the ability to use knowledge of the target language to participate in diverse, multicultural settings, and to live in a global society.
Minor Program Curriculum
SPA 2311 Intermediate Spanish I
SPA 2312 Intermediate Spanish II
SPA 3310 Spanish Composition and Grammar
SPA 3311 Hispanic Civilization
SPA 3316 Spanish Conversation and Pronunciation
Students should choose the remaining 3 SH from the following courses:
SPA 3333 Survey of Spanish Literature
SPA 3335 Survey of Spanish-American Literature
SPA 3339 Survey of Latino Literature
SPA 4338 Masterpieces of Afro-Hispanic Literature (Prerequisites: SPA 3333 or departmental approval)
Suggested Minor Course Sequence
SPA 3310 Spanish Composition and Grammar and SPA 3316 Spanish Conversation and Pronunciation are offered in the fall and spring semesters respectively. Students are strongly encouraged to take these courses in this order and before they take other 3000 or 4000 level courses.
Study Abroad Opportunities for Spanish Minors
Students enrolled in the minor in a world language may earn up to six (6) semester hours of the minor through study abroad. Curriculum adjustments will be made to accommodate the courses taken during the study abroad experience.