We are committed to being the premier, dynamic, graduate program focused on learning and service, where students from culturally diverse backgrounds fulfill their potential as leaders in healthcare management. The WSSU Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) program is a full-time program that strives to increase the participation of underrepresented populations in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina. The MHA program provides a comprehensive graduate experience designed to meet the needs of working professionals who are in the early stages of their careers. Led by a mixture of faculty drawn from academic and professional backgrounds, students gain competencies in management and business functions that are applicable to a wide range of healthcare organizations.
- Compassion for all
- Leadership that makes a difference
- Integrity in all situations
- Excellence in all undertakings
- Diversity focused on inclusion
- Service as a creed for life
- The program will include a student body of culturally-diverse working professionals, including members of populations that are underrepresented in the healthcare administration field.
- The program will utilize faculty with academic and professional backgrounds that support the curriculum.
- The program will be grounded in values that serve as guides to behavior and decision-making.
- The Program curriculum will be based on an appropriate competency model.
- Graduates will demonstrate competency in business functions core to healthcare management.
- The program will produce research that supports the mission, vision and values of the program.
- The program will encourage service to the university and the community.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Professional Assessment*
- One official copy of all transcripts
- Three recommendation letters
- Admissions essay *
- Resume’ – work experience is a critical component of the admission process
- $50 application fee
*Contact the Department of Healthcare Management for instructions.
Since preferred consideration is given to those who submit their application early, all application materials should be submitted as soon as possible.
International students must also provide a financial certification of sufficient funds to carry on graduate study, a sponsor’s affidavit, and an evaluation of transcripts by an International Education Evaluation Services. Those who do not have English as their native language must provide TOEFL scores of 550 or better (written) or 213 (computer) Or IELTS scored of 6.5 or better.
The priority deadline for reciept of all application materials is February 15th; space permitting the deadline may be extended to March 1st. Since preferred consideration is given to those applicants who submit their applications early, all appication materials shoudl be submitted as soon as possible. Fall semester entry only.
Subject to the approval of the Graduate Program Coordinator, up to 7 hours of graduate transfer credit may be applied toward the MHA. Graduate transfer credit will only be granted for courses completed with a grade of “B” or better and taken within the last five (5) years.
The MHA program consists of 40 credit hours: a total of 13 courses (there are no internship requirements). Students in the MHA program must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 (“B” average); no more than two grades of “C” are allowed. In addition to 12 MHA courses, students must take a graduate elective.
Time Limits for Completion
The time limit for completion of the program is six years.
Students admitted in the fall and spring. The MHA is a lock-step program that utilizes the cohort structure. Students following the prescribed plan of study can complete the MHA program in 2 years (four semesters).
MHA 5303 - Health Law, Ethics & Policy
MHA 5305 - Healthcare Finance & Decision Analysis I
MHA 5310 - Healthcare Information Systems Management
MHA 6312 - Healthcare Finance & Decision Analysis II
MHA 6315 - Patient Centeredness & Change
MHA 6318 - Grant Management and Writing
MHA 6330 - Healthcare Professional Relations
MHA 6337 - Population Health Planning
MHA 6405 - Strategic Planning & Marketing
MHA 6340 - Advanced Healthcare Management Applications
MHA 6345 - Environmental Health Management
MHA 6350 - Healthcare Leadership & Communications
Graduate Programs Webpage
Master of Healthcare Administration Webpage