Requirements for the Minor in Portuguese
The minors in Portuguese requires a minimum of 18 semester hours above the elementary level. The intermediate level of the language is a prerequisite for all upper-level courses leading toward the minor. Proficiency credit may be granted for intermediate courses if a student passes specified departmental exams. Students must attain a grade of C or better in all courses taken for the minor.
The following courses are required:
· POR 2311 - Intermediate Portuguese I
· POR 2312 - Intermediate Portuguese II
· POR 3309 - Advanced Portuguese Conversation
· POR 4301 - Advanced Portuguese Composition
Students choose the remaining 6 semester hours from among the following:
· POR 3312 - Cultures of the Portuguese-Speaking World
· POR 3333 - Survey of Literature in Portuguese
· POR 4309 - Special Topics in Portuguese Language and Lusophone Culture
With the approval of the department, students may also include up to 6 semester hours of credit from study abroad programs approved by the Office of International Programs as long as these courses are taught in Portuguese and have content related to the Portuguese language or the Portuguese-speaking world.