Spanish Minor Program (18 SH)
The program of study for the minor in Spanish consists of 18 SH above the elementary level. SPA 2311 and SPA 2312 are prerequisites for all upper level courses leading to the minor. To satisfy the minor requirement in Spanish, all courses must be taken and completed with a grade of C- or better.
Student Learning Outcome
- Students who complete the minor program requirements will be able to:
- Demonstrate oral communication in a variety of settings at the intermediate-low level proficiency.
- Demonstrate comprehension of spoken Spanish in real-life settings.
- Demonstrate effective writing skills through the completion of term papers.
- Develop cross-cultural understanding and intercultural skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to use knowledge of Spanish to participate in diverse, multicultural settings, and to live in a global society.
The SLOs for the minor are different from those of the Spanish major. Please use these here.
Minor Program Curriculum
SPA 2311 Intermediate Spanish I
SPA 2312 Intermediate Spanish II
SPA 3310 Spanish Composition and Grammar
SPA 3311 Hispanic Civilization
SPA 3316 Spanish Conversation and Pronunciation
Students should choose the remaining 3 SH from the following courses:
SPA 3333 Survey of Spanish Literature
SPA 3335 Survey of Spanish-American Literature
SPA 3339 Survey of Latino Literature
SPA 4338 Masterpieces of Afro-Hispanic Literature (Prerequisites: SPA 3333 or departmental approval)
Suggested Minor Course Sequence
SPA 3310 Spanish Composition and Grammar and SPA 3316 Spanish Conversation and Pronunciation are offered in the fall and spring semesters respectively. Students are strongly encouraged to take these courses in this order and before they take other 3000 or 4000 level courses.
Study Abroad Opportunities for Spanish Minors
With the approval of the department and in conjunction with the Office of International Programs, students may also include up to six (6) semester hours of credit from study abroad programs as long as these courses are taught in Spanish and have content related to the Spanish language or the Spanish-speaking world.