May 24, 2024  
2013-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 
2013-2015 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information


Student Expenses

Winston-Salem State University is a publicly supported institution. Tuition payments and other required student fees meet only a part of the total cost of the education of students enrolled. On the average, for each full-time student enrolled in an institution of the University of North Carolina, the State of North Carolina appropriated $8,500 per year in public funds to support the educational programs offered.

Financial Responsibility

All charges for tuition and fees are due and payable at the time of registration, unless the student is enrolled in the university payment plan administered by Tuition Management Systems or has approved financial aid that is forthcoming. Nonpayment of tuition and fees shall result in grades and transcripts being held.

Additionally, the student will not be allowed to participate in registration and will forfeit eligibility to participate in the Tuition Management System Plan for subsequent semesters. Work-study and work awards are paid as earned and cannot be used as an extension towards registration and entrance fees.

Undergraduates Tuition and Fees

In-State and Out-of-State Tuition and Fees are posted on the university’s Billing and Receivables homepage.  Note that health insurance is optional with proof of health insurance coverage.

University boarding costs are posted on the home page of Housing and Residence Life.

University Fees are subject to change without prior notification

Tuition Surcharge

Pursuant to the requirements for North Carolina General Statute §116-143.7, effective for the Fall 2010 semester and thereafter all undergraduate students will be subject to a 50% tuition surcharge for all credit hours attempted in excess of 140 or 110% of the hours required by the student’s academic program, whichever is greater. 

Students subject to surcharge:

  • Students earning a first baccalaureate degree in a program that requires no more than 128 credit hours will be subject to the surcharge after having completed eight or more regular semesters at any institution.  Students pursuing programs requiring more than 128 hours will be subject to the surcharge only after having completed 10 or more regular semesters.   Work completed in summer sessions or off-campus extension will not count towards the eight or ten semesters.
  • For students earning a first baccalaureate degree program that requires no more than 128 credit hours, the surcharge shall be applied to all counted credit hours in excess of 140.  For students earning a first baccalaureate degree in a program that requires more than 128 credit hours, the surcharge shall be applied to all counted credit hours that exceed 110 percent of the hours required for the degree.
  • Students pursuing multiple degrees will be subject to the surcharge for all counted credit hours in excess of 140 or 110% of that required for the degree(s), whichever is greater.  Hours required for the degree(s) are defined as the number of hours required for the primary degree plus all hours completed that are creditable towards the additional degree(s) but are non-degree-creditable towards the primary degree, as defined by the student’s Degree Audit.
  • Students pursuing a baccalaureate degree other than their first will be subject to the surcharge for all counted credit hours in excess of 140 or 110% of that required for the additional degree.


Upon application by a student, the tuition surcharge shall be waived if the student demonstrates that any of the following have substantially disrupted or interrupted the student’s pursuit of a degree:

  • A military service obligation
  • Serious medical debilitation
  • A short-term or long-term disability
  • Other extraordinary hardship

Special fees and charges can be made at any time with the approval of proper authorities.

Application Fee

A non-refundable application fee must accompany each application for admission.  The application fee is posted on the home page of the Office of the Registrar.

Residence Deposit

An application fee is required to validate the contract for residence hall occupancy.  See Housing and Residence Life’s home page for the current fee.

Residence Status for Tuition Purposes

The basis for determining the appropriate tuition charge rests upon whether a student is a resident or a nonresident for tuition purposes. Each student must make a statement as to the length of his or her residence in North Carolina, with assessment by the institution of that statement to be conditioned by the following.

Residence. To qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must become a legal resident and remain a legal resident for at least twelve months immediately prior to classification. Thus, there is a distinction between legal residence and residence for tuition purposes. Furthermore, twelve months legal residence means more than simple abode in North Carolina. In particular, it means maintaining a domicile (permanent home of indefinite duration) as opposed to “maintaining a mere temporary residence or abode incident to enrollment in an institution of higher education.” The burden of establishing facts which justify classification of a student as a resident entitled to in-state tuition rates is on the applicant for such classification, who must show his or her entitlement by the preponderance (the greater part) of the residentiary information.

Initiative. Being classified a resident for tuition purposes is contingent on the student’s seeking such status and providing all information that the institution may require in making the determination.

Parents’ Domicile. If an individual, irrespective of age, has living parent(s) or court-appointed guardian of the person, the domicile of such parent(s) or guardian is, prima facie, the domicile of the individual; but this prima facie evidence of the individual’s domicile may or may not be sustained by other information. Further, non domiciliary status of parents is not deemed prima facie evidence of the applicant child’s status if the applicant has lived (though not necessarily legally resided) in North Carolina for the five years preceding enrollment or re-registration.

Effect of Marriage. Marriage alone does not prevent a person from becoming or continuing to be a resident for tuition purposes, nor does marriage in any circumstance ensure that a person will become or continue to be a resident for tuition purposes. Marriage and the legal residence of one’s spouse are, however, relevant information in determining residentiary intent. Furthermore, if both a husband and his wife are legal residents of North Carolina and if one of them has been a legal resident longer than the other, then the longer duration may be claimed by either spouse in
meeting the twelve-month requirement for in-state tuition status.

Military Personnel. A North Carolinian who serves outside the State in the Armed Forces does not lose North Carolina domicile simply by reason of such service. Students from the military may prove retention or establishment of residence by reference, as in other cases, to residentiary acts accompanied by residentiary intent.

In addition, a separate North Carolina statute affords tuition rate benefits to certain military personnel and their dependents even though not qualifying for the in-state tuition rate by reason of twelve months legal residence in North Carolina. Members of the Armed Services, while stationed in and concurrently living in North Carolina, may be charged a tuition rate lower than the out of- state tuition rate to the extent that the total of entitlements for application tuition costs available from the federal government, plus certain amounts based under a statutory formula upon the in-state tuition rate, is a sum less than the out-of-state tuition rate for the pertinent enrollment. A dependent relative of a service member stationed in North Carolina is eligible to be charged the in-state tuition rate while the dependent relative is living in North Carolina with the service member and if the dependent relative has met any requirement of the Selective Service System applicable to the dependent relative. These tuition benefits may be enjoyed only if the applicable requirements for admission have been met; these benefits alone do not provide the basis for receiving those derivative benefits under the provisions of the residence classification statute reviewed elsewhere in this summary.

Grace Period. If a person (1) has been a bona fide legal resident of the required duration, (2) has consequently been classified a resident for tuition purposes, and (3) has subsequently lost North Carolina legal residence while enrolled at a public institution of higher education, that person may continue to enjoy the instate tuition rate for a grace period of twelve months measured from the date on which North Carolina legal residence was lost. If the twelve months ends during an academic term for which the person is enrolled at a State institution of higher education, the grace period extends, in addition, to the end of that term. The fact of marriage to one who continues living outside North Carolina does not by itself cause loss of legal residence marking the beginning of the grace period.

Minors. Minors (persons under 18 years of age) usually have the domicile of their parents, but the residence classification statute in determining residence for tuition purposes recognizes certain special cases.

  1. If a minor’s parents live apart, the minor’s domicile is deemed to be North Carolina for the time period(s) that either parent, as a North Carolina legal resident, may claim and does claim the minor as a tax dependent, even if other law or judicial act assigns the minor’s domicile outside North Carolina. A minor thus deemed to be a legal resident will not, upon achieving majority before enrolling at an institution of higher education, lose North Carolina legal residence if that person (1) upon becoming an adult “acts, to the extent that the person’s degree of actual emancipation permits, in a manner consistent with bona fide legal residence in North Carolina” and (2) “begins enrollment at an institution of higher education not later than the fall academic term following completion of education prerequisite to admission at such institution.”
  2. If a minor has lived for five or more consecutive years with relatives (other than parents) who are domiciled in North Carolina and if the relatives have functioned during this time as if they were personal guardians, the minor will be deemed a resident for tuition purposes for an enrolled term commencing immediately after at least five years in which these circumstances have existed. If under this consideration a minor is deemed to be a resident for tuition purposes immediately prior to his or her eighteenth birthday, that person on achieving majority will be deemed a legal resident of North Carolina of at least twelve months duration. This provision acts to confer in-state tuition status even in the face of other provisions of law to the contrary; however, a person deemed a resident of twelve months duration pursuant to this provision continues to be a legal resident of the State only so long as he or she does not abandon North Carolina domicile.

Lost but Regained Domicile. If a student ceases enrollment at or graduates from an institution of higher education while classified a resident for tuition purposes and then both abandons and reacquires North Carolina domicile within a twelve-month period, that person, if he or she continues to maintain the reacquired domicile into re-enrollment at an institution of higher education, may re-enroll at the in-state tuition rate without having to meet the usual twelve-month duration requirement. However, any one person may receive the benefit of the provision only once.

Change of Status. A student admitted to initial enrollment in an institution (or permitted to re-enroll following an absence from the institutional program which involved a formal withdrawal from enrollment) must be classified by the admitting institution either as a resident or as a nonresident for tuition purposes prior to actual enrollment. A residence status classification once assigned (and finalized pursuant to any appeal properly taken) may be changed thereafter (with corresponding change in billing rates) only at intervals corresponding with the established primary divisions of the academic year.

Transfer Students. When a student transfers from one North Carolina public institution of higher education to another, he or she is treated as a new student by the institution to which he or she is transferring and must be assigned an initial residence status classification for tuition purposes.

Motor Vehicle Registration

All students and employees, whether full-time or part-time, must register vehicles driven on campus. No student or employee may register a vehicle that is not owned by him or her, his or her spouse, child, parent, or guardian. A vehicle is considered registered only when the permit is displayed. Vehicles may be registered between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Public Safety Department in the Old Maintenance Building.

Parking privileges are not granted to first year (freshman status) residential students due to limited availability of parking spaces. However a student whose parking need is extraordinary due to reasons of hardship or disability must provide documentation of such need before applying for a permit.

Parking permit prices can be obtained from the Department of Public Safety.

All university parking areas are zoned, reserved, and/or restricted. Parking is prohibited except in lots, streets and areas as signage indicates. Legal parking at all times is restricted to spaces marked for parking. All parked vehicles must display WSSU parking permits appropriate for the zone where parked. A pamphlet containing motor vehicle regulations and a campus map indicating parking zones and areas is provided to each person registering a vehicle at the time of registration. Persons who operate and park vehicles in violation of regulations are subject to citation and/or vehicle towing.

 Parking fees are posted on the Department of Public Safety’s home page.


All remittances should be made payable to Winston-Salem State University. Please indicate on your check or money order for whom payment is being made.  Checks accepted in payment of tuition and fees must be negotiable at face value upon receipt. Those checks not honored by the payee’s bank will be subject to immediate collection. Failure to comply with this regulation will result in the cancellation of university services. A processing fee will be charged for each check returned. The university reserves the right not to honor an individual’s check after one check has been returned as uncollectible.

Withdrawal from the University

A student who officially withdraws from the university on or before the first day of classes will receive 100% refund of tuition and fees. A student withdrawing after the first day of classes will receive a pro rata refund as follows:

1st Day of Class 100%
1st Week of Class 90%
2nd Week of Class 90%
3rd Week of Class 50%
4th Week of Class 50%
5th Week of Class 25%
6th Week of Class 25%

Exception: Charges are refundable by administrative action on a prorated basis for the unexpired portion of the term for the following reasons: death of the student, withdrawal for adequate medical reasons as certified by the University student health center or family doctor, or death in the immediate family which necessitates student withdrawal. Appropriate documentation must be provided to the Registrar. No adjustment of fees will be processed for students dismissed or suspended from the institution for disciplinary reasons. Room and board refunds will be prorated on a weekly basis for the unused weeks remaining in the semester through the thirteenth (13th) week, as of the actual week of withdrawal.

The Director of Housing and Residence Life, in consultation with the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, will have the authority to decide whether students who have entered into a contractual agreement to live in WSSU residence halls, and have been suspended or dismissed from the University, will receive a refund.

The date of withdrawal from the residence hall shall be the date that the student returns his/her keys to the Residence Hall Administrator and/or the Office of Residence Life. The date of withdrawal for the purposes of board plan refunds is the actual date the withdrawal form is signed by the Ram Card Administrator, at which time the Ram Card is collected and deactivated. Note: No refunds will be given for withdrawal after the thirteenth (13th) week of the semester.

Status Changes from Full-Time to Part-Time Student

Students who drop below full-time status will receive financial credit for courses dropped on or before the add period ends. No credit will be given for classes dropped after this date.

Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements

A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted by the established deadline dates each year, and the following requirements must be met:

  1. Students must have been accepted for admission or must be enrolled as a regular degree-seeking student. Special, visiting, conditional or similar students are not eligible for financial aid.
  2. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
    Pursuant to the University’s Probation and Suspension Policy, all students (including transfers) matriculating in a degree program at WSSU are considered eligible for financial aid except students readmitted to the institution following academic suspension.
  3. Students must demonstrate the need for financial assistance.
  4. All (continuing, new and transfer) students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to establish eligibility for all financial aid programs. Applications should be completed at
  5. Financial Aid Review Sheets for summer school are available March 1- April 15 for students interested in applying for financial assistance (funds may be limited for summer).

Note: Review and Award Periods. All financial aid is awarded on an annual basis, and no award implies automatic renewal from year to year. A new FAFSA application must be submitted by the established deadline dates each year. All forms should be completed accurately and honestly. All information students provide is held in strict confidence.

Statement of Satisfactory Academic Progress 


Financial aid recipients are expected to make reasonable progress as a condition of receiving and continuing to receive student financial aid. Student progress is assessed according to qualitative and quantitative measures as they apply. The qualitative measure (grades) is very similar to the academic standards applied to all WSSU students. The quantitative measure (number of credit hours successfully completed) is used to monitor progress toward degree completion. When these measures are applied, federal regulations require that the student’s entire academic history is considered. This includes semesters or terms during which the student did not receive student financial aid. In response to requirements governing these programs, the University has developed this policy to monitor academic progress. 

The intent of this policy is to 1) ensure that students using financial aid programs are demonstrating responsible use of public funds in pursuit of their educational goals; and 2) set standards for monitoring all financial aid recipients’ course completion rates each semester, warning individual students when progress is so slow that financial aid eligibility may run out before completion of the degree program.

Attempted course - A course which remains on the student’s record after the first fourteen days of the term.

Completed course/earned credit - A course in which a grade of A, B, C, D, or P was received. (Note: Withdrawal (W), no credits, blank grades, incomplete grades (I), audits (AU), and failures (F) are not considered “earned credit” for meeting progress requirements).

Financial aid – the Federal Title IV programs and state and institutional programs listed below.

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Federal Work Study
  • Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized)
  • Federal PLUS Loan
  • North Carolina Incentive Grant
  • North Carolina Lottery Grant

Financial aid probation - A term in which a student who has been identified as not meeting one or more standards in this policy and continues to receive financial aid. At the end of the term of financial aid probation, a student is expected to meet satisfactory academic progress requirements in order to continue receiving financial aid.

Financial aid termination - The point at which a student is no longer eligible to receive financial aid as defined in this policy; normally, this is following an unsuccessful term of probation.

Incomplete - A grade of “I” received for an attempted course; no credit until the course is completed. 

Maximum timeframe - Time limit set for receipt of financial aid that is specific to a student’s program of study. For undergraduate programs, federal law defines this limit as 150% of normal program requirement. This University policy sets specific timeframes for various programs of undergraduate and graduate study.

Quantitative measure -time frame for the student to complete their program and a minimum number of credits the student must satisfactorily complete each year. The Office of Student Financial Aid will review your academic records at the end of each semester.

Qualitative: measurement of a student’s academic standing consistent with the requirement for graduation from their program of study. It is required that students who have attended for a period of two academic terms of undergraduate study maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average as indicated below.

Satisfactory Academic Progress/satisfactory progress - Completion of courses at a rate which meets the standards defined in this policy.

Transfer credit - Course accepted for credit at WSSU from another institution.

The Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended and final regulations set by the United States Department of Education (34CFR668.16) require that institutions of higher education establish reasonable standards of satisfactory academic progress as a condition of continuing eligibility for federal aid programs. Nothing in this policy shall be construed as an exemption from the requirements of any other federal or state agency, or other granting or governing authority that apply to a student or to the financial assistance the student receives, nor does this policy limit the authority of the Director of Financial Aid when taking responsible action to eliminate fraud or abuse in these programs.

Programs Governed by this Policy
The Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized), Federal PLUS loans, Federal Work Study Program, North Carolina Grants and alternative loans for students are governed by this policy.

Satisfactory Progress Standards
To encourage the completion of degree/certificate programs within a reasonable time frame and to comply with federal and state requirements, financial aid recipients attending Winston Salem State University must maintain satisfactory academic progress as a condition for receiving financial aid.

Satisfactory academic progress requires financial aid recipients do the following:

1. Meet minimum cumulative grade point averages as listed below;

2. Earn credit for a reasonable number of credit hours towards a degree or certificate each term;

3. Graduate prior to the maximum timeframe specific to their degree program;

4. Maintain academic standing, usually a specific term and cumulative grade point average, consistent with WSSU academic policy;

5. Satisfactorily complete at least 67% of cumulative credit hours attempted as explained below;

6. Complete courses at an overall rate which will ensure graduation within the maximum timeframe.

Financial aid recipients who do not meet these conditions will lose their financial aid eligibility. Also, a student’s entire academic history (including transfer hours) is considered for purposes of this policy regardless of whether or not the student received financial aid at the time the credit hours were completed.

Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average

Students receiving financial aid are required to maintain a minimum grade point average according to the number of credit hours completed. Recipients who fail to maintain the required grade point average will have their financial aid awards terminated. Financial aid will be reinstated once a student has reached the minimum requirements as specified in this policy or an appeal for reinstatement has been approved. The chart below indicates the minimum grade point average required to meet satisfactory progress standards:

Hours Completed Minimum Cumulative GPA

 0-15                                       ≥1.70

16-29                                      ≥1.80

30-59                                      ≥1.90

≥60                                         ≥2.00

Note: Cumulative Grade Point Average used for purposes of this policy is calculated by Winston-Salem State University in accordance with established policy and procedure.

Overall Completion Rate

Completion rates reflect the rate at which students earn credit for courses attempted (e.g., a student earning credit for nine of twelve attempted hours would have a 75% completion rate). A student must maintain a standard rate of completion of 67% as he or she moves through the degree program in order to graduate within the maximum timeframe. The 10th day class listing is used to determine a student’s attempted hours.

1. Minimum completion within a term - A financial aid recipient is to earn credit for at least 67% of all courses attempted per term. A student who receives financial aid but does not earn credit for any courses within a term is not eligible to receive financial aid in subsequent terms. If mitigating circumstances were responsible for zero course completion within a term, a student may appeal and be granted a term of financial aid probation if adequate documentation is provided (e.g., a doctor’s statement).

2. Incomplete grades - Students receiving excessive incomplete or “I” grades in their courses may not be progressing satisfactorily. Consequently, a student who has six or more hours of incompletes in mid-term, and has not achieved the minimum 67% will be placed on financial aid probation for the next term of attendance. In addition, the student is expected to complete the courses with “I” grades by the end of that term. If the student has six or more hours of incompletes at the end of the term and has not achieved the minimum 67%, the student must appeal for reinstatement of financial aid.

3. Grade point average/suspension - Students must meet the University’s policy on scholastic standing, grades, and grade point average as defined in the appropriate catalog. A student who is on scholastic suspension has not maintained acceptable academic progress. The Office of Financial Aid will initially stop that student from receiving financial aid in any subsequent term. If readmitted or reinstated, the student must submit a separate appeal to be considered for reinstatement of financial aid.

Minimum Cumulative Credit Hour Completion
Financial aid recipients must satisfactorily complete at least 67% of cumulative credit hours attempted. Grades of A, B, C, D, or P are considered satisfactory. All other grades such as F, W, or I are considered unsatisfactory. A student who is unable to complete his or her degree program within this timeline may appeal for an additional term of financial aid eligibility in order to complete the degree program. Special consideration will be given to a student whose attempted hours include developmental courses. 

Termination of Financial Aid
Students who completely withdraw for any semester (fall or spring) after the 10th day of class will automatically have their financial aid terminated for the following semester. The students may appeal the following semester for consideration of future aid.

Eligible students
Undergraduate students must be officially admitted to the university as degree seeking student. Generally, students who are officially admitted and degree seeking must attempt at least part-time to be fully considered for Title IV aid. Students attending less than half time must be evaluated for financial aid in the Office of Financial Aid for any possible awards.

Graduate students must have a degree objective and officially admitted into a Graduate program. Students who have been counseled regarding acceptance into a graduate program and are enrolled in required prerequisites but are not yet classified as a graduate student may receive a Stafford loan for one year only based on undergraduate loan limits.

Summer Session
Students (both undergraduate and graduate) who are deficient in credit hours or Grade Point Average at the end of the Spring Semester may make up the deficiencies during the Summer Session.

Note: A student may lose financial aid eligibility if the student fails to attain academic progress during the Summer Session.

Academic Clemency
Academic Clemency, which is granted in accordance with University policy, shall be considered when determining a student’s satisfactory progress. The Financial Aid Office will review all attempted coursework, regardless of academic clemency. Students may appeal for reinstatement of financial aid but academic clemency does not guarantee reinstatement of financial aid.

Monitoring Intervals
Satisfactory academic progress shall be monitored at the conclusion of each fall and spring semester or at the time the student is applying for financial aid if a current satisfactory progress assessment is not available. If a student is academically suspended between monitoring periods, the student’s eligibility for financial aid will also be suspended and must be reassessed at the time the student is readmitted to the University. Satisfactory Academic Progress for students attending Summer Session will be monitored at the conclusion of the Summer Session. 

Students who have an approved appeal will be monitored each semester until the cumulative and qualitative measures are met for the classification. A student must meet at least 67% of the attempted hours per semester with the minimum grade point average in order to continue probation without appealing. A status letter will be issued in mid-year on progress. If the student fails to achieve the stated requirements of eligibility at the end of the academic year, eligibility will be immediately terminated for the following semester.

Notification of Financial Aid Probation or Termination
The Office of Financial Aid will send a warning letter to any student who is put on probation or a termination letter to any student who is no longer eligible for financial aid. It is the responsibility of the student to maintain a current address with the Office of the Registrar.

Students who have been denied financial aid based on this policy have the right to appeal. To initiate a satisfactory academic progress appeal, the student must complete a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form and submit it along with all required supporting documentation to the Appeals Committee. In special/extenuating circumstances, the Director of Financial Aid may use professional judgment to review an appeal request.

Appeals for Students Exceeding 150%

Students who have exceeded 180 hours or 150% of the hours needed to complete their degree of study may have their coursework reviewed through submission of a Graduation Appeal Plan. The Appeals Committee or designee will carefully review the student’s official transcript to determine the following:

a. Any developmental or remedial coursework

b. Change in major or

c. Officially recognized dual major

d. Extenuating circumstances that warrant professional judgment consideration

Students who meet one or more of the above conditions will have their attempted hours recalculated to determine if any eligibility exists. The student may be granted additional aid based upon the evaluation of the official transcript and application. If professional judgment is used, it will be documented in student’s manual and/or electronic file.

Reasons for Appeal
Under general circumstances a student may appeal his/her financial aid termination for several reasons. All appeals will be considered for the following reasons.

Death or serious illness of an immediate family member (parent or legal guardian, sibling, spouse, or family member residing in the students home; a death certificate and a notarized statement regarding the relationship with the deceased are required)

Medical illness or injury to the student or a dependent child (attending physicians’ affidavit is required).

Other causes (i.e. natural disaster, acts of God, etc).

All appeals must be in writing and submitted within the timelines established by the Appeals Committee. All documents and appeal application must be submitted together in person or via certified mail with return receipt requested. All appeals must be completed by the student. Appeals completed by the parents, guardians, friends or other parties on behalf of the student will not be accepted. Under normal circumstances the University shall grant no more than two (2) financial aid appeals.

Reinstatement of Financial Aid Eligibility
Students who do not maintain satisfactory academic progress shall lose their eligibility for financial aid and may only regain eligibility by eliminating all satisfactory progress deficiencies at their own expense or having an appeal of their satisfactory academic progress status granted.

Returning and Transfer Students
Returning and transfer students must be in good academic standing and must have earned 67% of all hours attempted to be eligible to receive financial aid. Academic progress will be monitored using the Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average chart previously outlined in this policy.

Adjustment of Eligibility
On a case by case basis and based on the severity of qualitative or quantitative measure, the Appeals Committee has the right to adjust the level of financial aid awards a student can receive (except Pell Grants), and recommend reduction or increase in enrollment. This shall only be considered as a last resort to assist the student in achieving Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Students returning after seven (7) years may be waived for the 67% completion. However, the student must appeal to the Committee for reinstatement of aid.

IMPORTANT: (Please Note)
Students applying for financial assistance must be in compliance with the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP) as a condition of initial or continuing eligibility.

Financial aid will be denied to students who fail to maintain progress under the policy.

At the end of each semester, a formal review will be made to ensure compliance with the grade point average, maximum time limit, and minimum hour requirements of the policy.

First-time aid applicants who have previously attended WSSU must also be in compliance with the policy even though aid has not been received during periods prior to attendance.

Students who fail to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards will be notified by letter of their deficiency.

It is the responsibility of students who have been notified of a satisfactory progress deficiency to document any corrections to information used to determine their status.

Any aid released to a student who is subsequently determined to be ineligible to have received funds under the rules for SAP may be rescinded and the student may be billed for all funds disbursed.

This policy will be included in University catalog and other appropriate University publications. The policy, or a summary of its primary features, will be made available to each financial aid recipient.

Amendment to the Policy
This policy will be amended whenever applicable federal or state laws and regulations are changed.

Implementation Date
Implementation of this New Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is to begin at the end of the spring semester 2008.

Winston-Salem State University Scholarship Opportunities

Winston-Salem State University offers full and partial scholarships to qualified students. Priority will be given to students accepted by November 30th of their senior year. Qualified students applying after the priority date will continue to be considered as long as funds are available. Generally, scholarship awards are made by March. Visit the University’s website at to apply for admissions online, scholarship application information and secure additional information about WSSU.

Marshall B. Bass Scholarship Biology or Psychology

This scholarship is offered to entering freshmen who are North Carolina residents. The student must have at least a 3.5 cumulative high school grade point average, 1100 or above on the SAT or  24 on the ACT, and rank in the top one-half of his/her high school graduating class. This award is renewable up to three years if the student maintains a 3.4 grade point average, enrolls in at least 15 credit hours per semester and is pursuing his/her first degree. This scholarship pays for full tuition and fees, full room and board, and books. Students also are awarded membership into the Winston- Salem State University Residential Honors Program. .

Chancellor Scholarship All Majors

This scholarship is offered to entering freshmen who possess a 3.5 cumulative high school grade point average, 1100 or above on the SAT or 24 on the ACT, and rank in the top one-half of their high school graduating class. This award is renewable up to three years if the student maintains a 3.4 grade point average and enrolls in at least 15 credit hours per semester. The scholarship pays for full tuition and fees, full room and board, and provides an allocation for books. Students also receive full membership into the Winston-Salem State University Residential Honors Program.

STEM Scholarship (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math Program) Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science

This scholarship is offered to entering freshmen who possess at least a 3.5 cumulative high school grade point average, 1050 or above on the SAT or 23 on the ACT, and rank in the top one-half of their high school graduating class. This award is renewable up to three years if the student maintains a 3.4 grade point average, enrolls in at least 15 credit hours per semester and is pursuing  his/ her first degree. This scholarship pays for full tuition and fees, full room and board, and provides an allocation for books. Students also receive full membership into the Winston-Salem State University Residential Honors Program.


Students interested in Athletic Scholarships should contact the Department of Athletics at 336-750-2141.

Other Scholarship Opportunities

The university offers a number of additional scholarship opportunities annually. Please contact the Admissions Office for more information at 336-750-2070 or 800-257-4052.