Dec 09, 2023  
2009-2011 Undergraduate Catalog 
2009-2011 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission to the University

Winston-Salem State University (WSSU) is committed to equality of educational opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or disability. Winston-Salem State University is open to people of all races and actively seeks to promote diversity among its student population by recruiting and enrolling students without regard to race, gender, or ethnicity. Admission requirements are indicated for those entering the freshman class, for those entering with advanced undergraduate credit, for those seeking admission as unclassified or special students, and for those seeking re-admission to the university. Students may be admitted at the beginning of the fall or spring semester or at the beginning of the summer session. Early application is advisable for any term. All requests for application forms and inquiries for information concerning undergraduate admission should be addressed to:

Winston-Salem State University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
206 Thompson Student Center
Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27110
(336) 750-2070 or (800) 257-4052

A non-refundable application fee must accompany the completed application form. Students are encouraged to visit the university’s website at

Admission to the Freshman Class

In selecting the freshman class, decisions are based upon the candidate’s academic record and scores on the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) of the College Entrance Examination Board or the American College Test (ACT) of the American College Testing Service. The university’s CEE B code for the SAT is 5909; the ACT code is 3178. The admissions criteria are the same for public and private school applicants. It is possible for holders of high school equivalency certificates to be given individual consideration for admission. Admission to the university does not guarantee admission to any academic program.

Academic Requirements—An official transcript showing graduation from an accredited high school or an official transcript showing that the applicant is scheduled for graduation during the current scholastic year is required. The transcript should include the courses which the applicant has completed and those in which the applicant is enrolled, the number of weeks given each subject, the grade in each course and the scholastic standing of the student in their class. The school official authorized to sign these records must sign the transcript. All transcripts received by the university become the property of the university, and are filed among its records. Transcripts cannot be forwarded or returned to the applicant.

The minimum units required for admission for students graduating from secondary school in and after 2006 are as follows: (1) four course units in English, emphasizing grammar, composition and literature; (2) four course units of mathematics in any of the following combinations: algebra I and II, geometry, and one unit beyond algebra II; algebra I and II, and two units beyond algebra II; or integrated math I, II, and III, and one unit beyond integrated math III; (3) two course units in social studies, including one unit in U.S. history; (4) three course units in science (including at least one unit in life or biological science, one unit in physical science, and one laboratory course); and (5) two course units of the same foreign language. It is recommended that prospective students take a mathematics course unit in the 12th grade.

Transfer Admission

  1. Admissions Requirements for Transfer Applicants

It is required that applicants that have attended another college/university (including 2-year, 4-year, and/or junior colleges) submit an application for admission, all official transcripts for institutions of higher learning attended, and other needed documentation to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

  1. Applicants graduating from high school in 1990 and earlier or who are at least 24 years of age are not required to submit a high school transcript or SAT/ACT score.
  2. Applicants graduating from high school after 1990 and/or are under 24 years of age must submit SAT/ACT scores and official high school transcript to verify Minimum Course Requirements (MCRs). Students who do not meet MCRs must transfer at least 30 semester hours, including: 6 SH of College English, 6 SH of College Mathematics, 6 SH of College Social Science, 6 SH of College Science and 6 SH of College Foreign Language or receive an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree.
  3. Applicants that have been enrolled in one of the 16 University of North Carolina system schools are not required to submit a high school transcript and SAT/ACT score.

To be eligible for admission to WSSU, a transfer applicant must be in good academic standing and eligible to return to the last institution which they attended.

  1. General Guidelines for Transfer Credit

  1. Maximum Credits from two-year institutions—WSSU will transfer no more than 64 SH—96 quarter-hours (QH)— earned at two-year institutions.
  2. Equating Quarter Hours (QH) to Semester Hours (SH) for Transfer—One QH = two-thirds SH. If transfer credit comes within one-third SH of a WSSU requirement, it will be considered to have fulfilled that requirement. (Thus, a 4 QH course in biology will fulfill the 3 SH requirement at WSSU, since 4 QH equal 2 2/3 SH. A 3 QH speech course, however, will not fulfill the 3 SH speech requirement since 3 QH equal 2 SH.)
  1. Transferring Courses in the Major or Minor

  1. Transferring from four-year Colleges and Universities—WSSU will accept equivalent courses from regionally accredited colleges and universities.
  2. Transferring from two-year Institutions—Where there is an articulation agreement, students may apply the full associate degree, to be transferred, if earned in a college transfer program (i.e., Associate of Arts, Science, or Fine Arts). These courses may be used to satisfy the general education core requirements or some of the major requirements. Where there is no written agreement between WSSU and the two-year institution regarding the transfer of such courses, the chairperson of the transfer student’s prospective major or minor department will review the transcript and make the recommendation regarding appropriate credits
  1. General Education Core Requirements

Transfer students are required to take or transfer a minimum of 41 SH of specific core courses in addition to any developmental skills courses required. Developmental skills courses are non-credit basic skills classes for students who demonstrate skill deficiencies in English, mathematics, or reading as determined by placement examinations. Transfer students are advised to review the WSSU catalog regarding specific General Education Core requirements related to the various major programs.

  1. Communications

    1. WSSU will accept the equivalent of 6 SH in college composition courses and 3 SH of Speech.
    2. With the transfer of 5 SH in composition the student will take English 3132, Review of English Usage (1 SH) to complete the requirement. With the transfer of 4 SH the student will take ENG 1302 (3 SH).
    3. With the transfer of 2 SH in speech, the student will take SPH 2141, Speech Project (1 SH). With the transfer of 1 SH, the student will take SPH 2341 (3 SH). Public speaking, debate, or other speech courses which name SPH 2341 as a prerequisite will be accepted.
  1. Humanities

    1. WSSU will accept 9 SH of humanities. The specific courses are: ENG 2301 World Literature I or ENG 2302, unless an equivalent course is transferred (3 SH); and Art or Music 1301 (3 SH); HUM 2310 African- American Culture (3 SH), AAS 2301 Introduction to African and African-America Studies, ART 2306, RE L 3311, PHI 2301 or PHI 2303. Other literature, drama or religion courses will be accepted.
    2. Foreign language courses may be used as humanities electives. WSSU will accept the equivalent of 6 SH in any college level foreign language course to satisfy this requirement, for most majors, or 12 SH (through intermediate foreign language) for appropriate majors for the Bachelor of Arts Degree. Students can receive credit for foreign language courses for which they can verify appropriate levels of skill and knowledge as a result of prior learning experiences in those languages.
  1. Social Science

WSSU will accept the equivalent of 9 SH from the following courses, one in each of the three areas: HIS 1301 World Civilization I, HIS 1302-World Civilization II, HIS 3341 Black American History to 1865, or HIS 3342 Black American History from 1865 to Present (3 SH); POS 2311-American Government (3 SH), PSY 2301-General Psychology (3 SH), or SOC 2301-General Sociology (3 SH). Other courses include Geography, American History, Western History, Non- Western History, Comparative History, or courses for which those listed are prerequisites.

  1. Mathematics/Natural Science—10 SH are required including college algebra and biology.

    1. Mathematics—3 SH

      1. WSSU will accept the equivalent of MAT 1311 College Mathematics (college algebra) or MAT 1323 (Fundamentals of Mathematics) or higher level courses.
      2. When a second course in mathematics is selected or appropriate to fulfill the requirement, WSSU will accept the equivalent of MAT 1312 or above.
      3. When students are placed in a course above the level of MAT 1311 through testing, they shall receive credit toward their core requirement for MAT 1311.
    2. Natural Science – 7 SH

      (Two three semester hour science lecture courses and one one-hour science lab course that corresponds to one of the science lecture courses, from a different department, for a total of 7 SH are required).

      1. WSSU will accept the equivalent of 3 SH in BIO 1301 and 3 SH in PHS 2336, BIO 1302, Anatomy and Physiology, Botany, Zoology, Ecology, or PHS 2341.
      2. WSSU will accept the equivalent of 4 SH in PHS 2336 and PHS 2136, CHE 1311 and CHE 1111, CHE 2311 and CHE 2111, PHY 2321 and PH 2121, PHY 2322 and PHY 2122.
  1. Health Education and Physical Education— 3 SH are required.

    1. WSSU will accept the equivalent of 1 SH in a physical education activity course and 2 SH of health education. A typical physical education is acceptable with medical approval.
    2. WSSU will accept the equivalent of 2 SH for the health education requirement from health theory courses such as personal health, hygiene-based nursing courses and first aid, and CPR for which college credit has been awarded.
    3. Transfer of 3 SH for the requirement will also be approved on verification of student’s involvement in the armed services: a minimum of one year in a branch of the Armed Forces, Reserves or National Guard.
    4. Specific military science courses may also transfer as 1 SH toward the Physical Education Requirement.
  2. Freshman Seminar – 1 SH

The freshman seminar courses at WSSU will not be required of students who have taken a minimum of 30 SH from regionally accredited post-secondary institutions. Students with fewer than 30 SH may transfer a freshman seminar course taken elsewhere to fulfill the WSSU requirement.

  1. African-American Experience – 3 SH

In addition to courses listed under the General Education Core curriculum (HUM 2310, AAS 2301), the university will accept EN G 3381-Black Writers in America, HIS 3345-Blacks in Urban History, or African/Caribbean Literature or History.

  1. Placement Test

Placement tests are not required if students have taken developmental or college level English and/or mathematics at another accredited institution. These students must enroll in the comparable English and/or mathematics course for which they did not receive transfer credit. Students who have maintained a 2.5 (C+) grade point average through 24 SH of course work at a technical college or similar institution, or a 2.0 (C) grade point average through 24 SH of work at a community, junior college; four-year college or university will not be required to take the Reading Placement Test.

All courses approved for transfer are listed on the WSSU record, but grades and grade point averages are not.

Admission Requirements for an Additional Baccalaureate Degree

A student that has received a bachelor’s degree from WSSU or another regionally accredited institution may earn an additional baccalaureate degree by the following means:

  1. Completing a minimum of 30 additional SH at WSSU beyond the hours required for their first degree, for each subsequent degree.
  2. Satisfying upper division requirements in the major field as recommended and approved by the department and approved by the department chair granting the additional degree.
  3. Completing other requirements or pertinent supporting courses as approved by appropriate department chairperson or dean.

International Student Admission

WSSU accepts qualified students from other countries. International applicants must satisfy all requirements for admission as outlined for other students, and must have command of written and spoken English. In addition, prospective international students must:

  1. Have all academic records, including official transcripts showing all school coursework and proof of graduation from a secondary school, translated into English and evaluated by an international academic evaluation service such as World Education Services ( before the records are submitted to the Office of Admissions.
  2. Send official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOE FL) scores to the Office of Admissions. The verbal score on the SAT I or the English score on the ACT may be used instead of the TOEFL.
  3. Submit a certificate of financial responsibility and supporting documentation showing sufficient financial resources to be used to cover the cost of attendance. This amount must exceed the annual out-of-state budget used by the University’s Financial Aid Office.

Prospective international students are encouraged to submit all application materials no later than January 15 for fall admission and July 15 for spring admission. The university’s Office of International Programs will issue the I-20 once applicants have satisfied all admission requirements.

All other requests for information or questions regarding admission should be directed to:

Office of Admissions
Winston-Salem State University
206 Thompson Student Center
Winston-Salem, NC 27110
(336) 750-2070 or (800) 257-4052

Special Students

Special students are students who wish to take courses for the purpose of broadening their cultural interest or for other personal reasons; students visiting from another institution; or graduates of four-year institutions seeking certification. Interested individuals should:

  1. Submit application for admission with the non-refundable application fee.
  2. Send unofficial high school and/or college transcripts to the Office of Admissions.
  3. Submit proof of high school graduation or a permission from the current institution.

Students admitted as non-degree seeking Special students are not eligible to receive any federal or university financial aid. Special students may be considered as degree seeking after all requirements for new freshmen or transfer admission have been met. Special students not seeking certification may enroll in and accumulate no more than 12 SH. Credits earned while enrolled as a Special student will not count toward graduation until all university admissions have been met.

Visiting Students

Students from other colleges or universities may be admitted as visitors. Applicants from other colleges or universities must obtain prior approval from their current institution to take courses at Winston-Salem State University. The university assumes no responsibility for determining the student’s course selection when the credits are to be transferred elsewhere. Enrollment by permission from another institution does not obligate the university to continue the student’s enrollment at Winston-Salem State University after the expiration of the permission period.

Admission to the Summer Session

Regular WSSU students (freshmen or transfers) who wish to start course work during the summer session must satisfy the same admission requirements that are prescribed for students entering for the first time in the fall or spring semester, including the testing requirements. Students enrolling for the summer session only as visiting students should contact the Continuing Education and Summer Sessions Office at (336) 750-2638

High School Students

Winston-Salem State University will accept, for enrollment in certain university courses, high school juniors and seniors who are above average in academic achievement and who have the formal endorsement of and permission from the high school principal. Enrollment is limited to one course per semester. The cost per course for which university credit is given is the same as for other students taking fewer than nine hours. Credit earned before completion of high school may be applicable to a degree program at Winston-Salem State University when the student has met all requirements for high school graduation and satisfied the requirements for admission as a freshman, or the credit can be transferred to the school of the student’s choice. Individuals wishing to enroll in university courses as indicated should proceed according to the policies of the high schools, and the high schools should contact the Winston-Salem State University Office of Admissions for application forms and further information.

Re-Admission of Former Students

When a student’s attendance is interrupted for any reason, an application for re-admission must be filed with the Office of the Registrar. If the student has attended another college or university, the student must also pay the non-refundable application fee and submit official transcripts of credit from these institutions. Special students who have not interrupted their enrollment do not need permission to take courses until they have accumulated 12 SH or completed requirements for certification.

Notification of Acceptance

Applicants are notified of action taken on their applications as soon as possible. However, final action cannot be taken until all required information is in the Office of Admissions.

Note: Any student who supplies false or misleading information or who conceals pertinent facts in order to enroll at Winston-Salem State University will be subject to immediate dismissal from the university.